·
Discuss the type of editing software you have
chosen and why.
·
Discuss the creative thinking process behind
your editing choices (technical and aesthetic).
·
How does your segment reflect your ability to
communicate effectively in film language? Use screenshots where appropriate.
Pre-Editing
After watching the rushes and analysing the mistakes (as explained in the previous entry), I, as editor, decided to use After Effects CS 5 for it's wide range of effects that I could use to refine the documentary. However, after realising the file size was so big (111 GB) that after effects's ram re play couldn't load them fast enough, I moved to using Adobe Premiere Pro CS 5. Here I could cut and edit easily and playback to preview my work fast enough.
Editing
First thing I did was to cut down as much dead footage (footage where nothing happens, usually when Pak Andy took breaks or takes a while to recall something) as possible. This was by far the easiest part, as I just re-watched the footage, took notes on where to cut along the way and cut them when I was done. Then I inserted a blank black image and inserted it into the footage to designate where the Cut Aways would be inserted at. After consulting with Ibu Lis (Last week), she told us that chances are, we won't be able to film cutaways on time so that I had to use dissolves to transition between the jump cuts. To do this, all I had to do was apply an effect to each one of the individual would be cutaway segments.
She also reminded us how the editing process needed to be split, so I was going to do a bulk of the visual editing, Luthfi was going to help with the sound and end sequence, Min Kee will do the title sequence.
During the editing itself, since I had only 1 camera angle to work with and no cutaways, as explained before, my job was just to cut the clips, organise, delete anything non important, and add dissolves in place of cutaways. Also, I had to add subtitles, just so the viewers can read what is being said incase they couldn't hear it through audio.
No comments:
Post a Comment